These are the policies and procedures that currently exist for the Alumni Association of Clarkson Secondary School.
ARTICLE I. NAME
The name of this association shall be called:
THE CLARKSON SECONDARY SCHOOL ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
(herein referred to as the “Association”)
ARTICLE II. PURPOSE
The general purpose of this Association shall be to promote the general welfare and effectiveness of Clarkson Secondary School, through:
- Strengthening the ties between former students of Clarkson Secondary School and the high school;
- Stimulating the interest and activity of the alumni of Clarkson Secondary School;
- Preserving and furthering the mission of Clarkson Secondary School;
- Participating in further development of Clarkson Secondary School.
ARTICLE III. MEMBERS
SECTION 1. Regular membership in the Association shall be extended to all alumni, including graduates of Clarkson Secondary.
SECTION 2. Honorary members of the Association shall be those persons who have evidenced particular interest in the welfare of Clarkson Secondary School and desire to associate themselves in the activities of this Association and shall be admitted as such, upon approval of the Board of Directors, excluding the right to vote or hold office as a member of the Association.
SECTION 3. There shall be no dues for members or honorary members.
ARTICLE IV. OFFICERS
SECTION 1. The officers of the Association shall be: President, First Vice President, Second Vice President, and Executive Secretary.
SECTION 2. Duties of Officers.
The President of the Association shall be its chief executive. The President shall preside at all meetings of the Association, and at meetings of the Executive Committee. The President shall represent the Association in and at all functions and activities required by his or her office. The President, with the advice and consent of the Executive Committee, shall appoint all committees of the Association.
- FIRST VICE PRESIDENT:
The First Vice President shall be an assistant to the President of the Association, and in the absence of the President, shall exercise the power of the President, and shall serve on the Executive Committee.
- EXECUTIVE SECRETARY:
The Director of Alumni Relations for Clarkson Secondary School shall serve as the Executive Secretary of the Association, and shall also serve on the Executive Committee. The duties of the Executive Secretary are to:
(1) be chief assistant to the Association;
(2) keep minutes of all Association meetings;
(3) be the chief financial officer of the Association;
(4) manage the affairs and daily operations of the Alumni Office.
SECTION 3. The First Vice President will succeed the President, and the Second Vice President will succeed the First Vice President whenever an officer vacancy occurs. When there is no succeeding officer, the Alumni Association Board of Directors will elect a person to fill the vacant office from nominations provided by the Nominating Committee.
SECTION 4. The term of office for the President, First Vice President and Second Vice President is two years. The term of office will commence on January 1 and conclude on December 31 of the following year. Officers will not be eligible to serve in the same officer position for more than two consecutive terms.
ARTICLE V. MEETINGS
SECTION 1. An annual meeting of the Association shall be at Clarkson Secondary School during Cancer Drive weekend, or at such other time as the Board of Directors may determine.
SECTION 2. Any number of members present at a meeting of the Association shall be considered a quorum, and a majority of the votes cast at a regularly convened meeting shall be sufficient to approve all matters of business.
SECTION 3. The rules of procedure in all meetings of the Association and of its Board of Directors shall be governed by the latest edition of Robert’s Rules of Order, as modified by the Constitution and By-laws.
SECTION 4. In meetings of the Association or the Executive Committee, any business may be transacted that is presented in written agenda form and pre-approved by the President of the Association at least two weeks prior to each meeting.
SECTION 5. The following shall be the usual order of business at regular meetings of the Board, but the order may be suspended or changed at any time by the vote of a majority of the board members present:
(1) Student/Teacher update;
(2) Roll Call;
(3) Action on Minutes of Previous Meeting;
(4) Reports of Officers of the Association;
(5) Reports of Standing Committees;
(6) Reports of Special Committees;
(7) Unfinished Business;
(8) New Business;
ARTICLE VI. COMMITTEES
SECTION 1. Committees shall be appointed by the President of the Association, subject to the approval of the Executive Committee.
SECTION 2. Standing committees shall include:
(1) Executive Committee. The Executive Committee shall be responsible for the execution of matters referred to the Committee by the Board and shall report all action to the Board at its next meeting. It shall also have power to make recommendations to the Board and to act for the Board on all matters which arise between Board meetings, such action subject to ratification by the Board at its next meeting. The Executive Committee shall consist of selected officers of the Association and two at-large members.
(2) Special Events Committee. The Special Events Committee shall be responsible for planning alumni events for Homecoming and other events as needed.
(3) Awards Committee. The Awards Committee is responsible for determining the recipients of award and scholarship which are awarded by the Alumni Association. In addition the Alumna and Alumnus of the Year Awards and such other awards as may be determined by the Board.
(4) Alumni Fund Committee. The Alumni Fund Committee shall provide leadership and assistance to the association’s efforts in raising funds from alumni in support of the various scholarship and special needs.
(5) Student Life Committee. The Student Life Committee shall develop programs and projects which will help current students to better understand the importance of their education, community involvement, and alumni engagement.
SECTION 3. Special and ad hoc committees may be appointed as needed.
SECTION 4. Non-Board members may be appointed to standing and special committees, except to the Executive Committee.
ARTICLE VII. AMENDMENTS
SECTION 1. This Constitution and By-laws may be amended at any annual meeting of the Association by a two-thirds vote of those present and voting thereon, provided the proposed amendment or amendments shall have first been submitted in writing to the Executive committee.
SECTION 2. Any subsequent amendments to this Constitution and By-laws must also be approved by the President of Clarkson Secondary School Alumni Association.